Adani power purchase against ‘public policy’: How could such a deal be signed?
In 2015, with a flurry of power deals in the bag and overcapacity in existing production capacity, did Bangladesh need to sign another landmark deal? Statistics suggest no.
Perhaps, the raw exuberance surrounding the Bangladesh growth story then could justify the deal struck with Adani Power under the 2011 Indo-Bangla Framework Agreement for Cooperation on August 11, 2015 -- about two months after Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's maiden visit to Bangladesh.
But nothing explains the government's rationale for signing the power purchase agreement for the deal two years later: three legal and energy experts at home and abroad who reviewed the contract at The Daily Star's request found it to be exceptionally expensive, overtly favouring Adani Power and ironclad.
- Use in a business presentation.
- Use in the classroom.
- Use on personal website/blog.
- Use on non-profit website/newsletter.
- All licenses include the right to publish on social media channels.
- Free custom video slideshow when you purchase four cartoons or more.